Monday, January 31, 2011

Fashion Fads

There are some things that never go out of style. Like a great pair of black pumps, Lego's, a home cooked meal, little black dress, diamonds, fresh flowers, art, pearls, flip flops, and that old pair of gray sweats that you just can't manage to throw out.

On the other hand there are some things that have come and gone. . . and sometimes come back again - although not always for the best. And these are the things that I was ever so abruptly reminded of tonight while at a family gathering.

I am fortunate enough to have my immediate family living within a 50 mile radius of me; however, the rest of the clan is spread out across the U.S and beyond (you know who you are). My family on the west coast and I have managed to spend many major holidays together, and the ones across the ocean I have seen periodically throughout the last 15 years (is that how long you've been away?).

In honor of my Grandmothers 79th Birthday (Happy Birthday Gran!) my cousins and Aunt from California decided to fly in for the party. Bringing with them, none other then the homemade videos from 1998. Great.

If I have my years straight then 1998 was also the year of. . .Bill Clinton being accused of  involved in the White house Sex Scandal, Titanic was the big movie in the box office, Last episode of Seinfeld aired, Frank Sinatra Died, Green Bay LOST the Superbowl to Denver, Unemployment was 4.5%, and of course.... my little bro was born.

Regardless of world happenings, I highly doubt that the perfectly curled bangs, slicked back pony, and wide legged jeans that I was sporting in 1998 were in style. And if they were. . . . What was America thinking?

So yes, I admit, perhaps my style wasn't up to par and my haircut wasn't quite as trendy as I would have liked to think. But.I will admit one thing - family never goes out of style.  Too Cheesy? Yeah I thought so too.

2 comments:

  1. I love cheese!

    Aunt Julie, XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like the kind of post that should be accompanied by a picture!

    ReplyDelete