Monday, February 7, 2011

To Jump Or Not To Jump... That Is The Question

2011 - SnowDay


The last snow day I had was February 13th 2008. This was the first snow day at the University of Illinois since 1979 and trust me. . . I lived it up - 1 bottle of shampoo, 2 flights of stairs, 3 games of chess, and 24 hours of recovery later. Lets just say that Valentines Day that year was far from my favorite holiday.

And now here we are, almost two full years later and apparently we had a Blizzard last Wednesday. Or as I prefer to call it "Adult Snow day". As a child I never had the luxury of a snow day. I mean after all, I was home schooled so the idea of a snow day was unrealistic to this mind. Now, 24 years later I have come to realize just what I have been missing all these years. . .

First of all, I never believe the weather person. They say 80 degrees and it turns out to be 60. They say dry and it turns out to be a tycoon. They say tornado and it turns out to be clear sky's. You get the picture. Well last week when they said blizzard and 12-20 inches of snow, I just shrugged and walked out the door. On a typical morning I open the shades, take a gander outside, and then decide how to dress. I don't recall the last time I actually sat down and watched the weather channel. I'm more like Karen from Mean Girls "There's a 30% chance that it's already raining!".

Back to the story. . . Or maybe it is back to the future, because trust me, this is going to happen again. Well it was Tuesday February 1st at approximately 4:30pm. The snow was falling, the wind was blowing, and the roads were invisible. And yes, I decided to shrug and walk out the door as usual. After all, poltergeist and a bottle of wine was waiting (Thanks Kell). Where to park, where to park... The street sounds great.
As we popped in the movie, snuggled up on the couch, and opened a bottle of "Naughty Girl" - the snow began to fall. . . and fall. . . and fall. And blow. . . and blow. . . and blow. About 11:30pm I was ready to go home, but that clearly wasn't going to happen. The foot of snow covering the road was clearly not going to allow it - Slumber party! Luckily for me, Wednesday was officially a snow day, which in my mind says "live it up".

Wednesday morning I woke up to Kelly anxiously jumping up and down on the couch. Time to play. Or shovel? I'm not sure how much snow we officially ended up getting, but I sure had fun shoveling the sidewalk.

This is me admitting that this is the first time I have actually shoveled a sidewalk/driveway. This is me also admitting how badly my body hurt the following day.

As we began to shovel I had a revelation... What would happen when the snowplow finally decided to come down the road? Yes, my car would be completely buried... The solution to this? Plow Kelly's driveway of course so I could back my car off the street.

Was this an easy task? Of course not. In fact, this was more challenging then the sidewalk. However, I still had fun. Solely because I am still a spring chick when it comes to shoveling.  The big task was figuring out where all of Kelly's "treasures" would go.

What treasures you ask? The treasures that Kelly decided to put up in front of her car in order to avoid a huge drift in front of little red.  AKA - you know your a redneck when . . .

Following the hours of shoveling it was officially time to have fun....Or take a break.  Kick off your shoes and relax. Or play Super Mario Bro's on the Wii - Or not. Why not? Because we don't own Mario Bro's, but the neighbor does.

The solution? Use a fishing pole to cast across the street, have the neighbor attach the game, and reel it back it. Perfect solution for two lazy ladies. Unfortunately the neighbor didn't think so.
A couple hours later, we are warm, relaxed, and reved up and ready to go. Time to have an adventure.

Step #1: Kelly climbs from the ground, to the fence, to the fence post.

Step #2: Kelly poses like she just climbed Everest.

Step #3: Kelly gets a running head start

Step #5: Kelly jumps and Emily chops her head off.

Or you could do it in style. . . By the way, this is me -  ninja kicking from the garage to the snowbank.

After a few good jumps it was time. Time to test out Kipkays theory on changing traffic lights from red to green.Could pushing the crosswalk button in a specific sequence really entertain the 2 of us for hours? 

The answer is yes. And what is the sequence you ask? 3 short clicks, 2 long clicks, 1 short click, 2 long clicks,and 3 short clicks. And did the sequence work you ask? Try it for yourself - I dare you.

1 secret code, 2 jumps, 20 inches of snow, and 24 hours later, the road was finally plowed and I was able to venture back home. And this brought our snow day to. . .

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment