Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 - and the birds take flight.


res·o·lu·tion:
1. The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination.
2. A resolving to do something.
3. A course of action determined or decided on.

With each new year comes a new resolution. A resolution to eat healthier or exercise more. Stop gossiping or quit smoking. Start recycling or reduce waste.

Resolutions have never really been my cup of tea. Typically after a few weeks I get frustrated, forget, or simply stop. More often then not I get bored and want to try something new. Possibly even do the exact opposite of what I had resolved to do merely the week before.

Which is why if I were an animal I would be a bird. Preferably a blue jay because I think they are gorgeous, but I could settle for a dove or a finch. Why I chose a bird you ask? Because my mind experiences something that we shall refer to as a "flight of ideas". Hence the inability to stick to a single project, conversation topic, or -  resolution.

Maybe this year I will resolve to stop doing what "sounds good at the time"? Maybe I'll practice some impulse control? Focus more?  Pay attention to details? Finish what I start? Or not.

I refuse to stop flying. Instead I will practice flying with a destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment