Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Year Of The Hare? I Think Not.

According to the Chinese calendar, I was born during the year of the Tiger, specifically the fire tiger. Some of the characteristics associated with this sign include:
"Bravery, competitiveness and unpredictability. Tigers love to be challenged and will accept any challenge if it means protecting a loved one or protecting their honor. They don’t worry about the outcome because they know they’ll always land on their feet. Don’t let their calm appearance fool you though; Tigers will pounce when they feel it’s necessary."

"Born to lead, Tigers can be stubborn if they realize they’re not in charge. They have a slight tendency to be selfish but overall, Tigers are extremely generous. They’re very intelligent and they’re always on alert. Tigers are very charming and are well-liked by others. They are not motivated by money or power."

Career: "Tigers have a continual need to be challenged which may explain why they jump from job to job. This isn’t necessarily a problem because they’re smart and able to quickly master new subjects. The best jobs for Tigers are those that will lead them towards positions of leadership"

Relationships: "Creative in their passion, Tigers will never bore their partners. They’re expressive, polite and trustworthy, but watch out. Tigers tend to dominate their relationships. This tendency is instinctive and when monitored closely, such behavior can be kept under control. Partners need to be equally active to keep up with the Tiger’s sense of adventure.".
Some of these characteristics are spot on. Others. . . I  prefer not to clam as qualities of myself. However, stubborn - Very. Optimistic - Absolutely. Overly dominating in relationships yet passionate? That's debatable, but highly likely.

Regardless of being born in the year of the tiger I have decided to NOT follow the Chinese Calendar this year and make up my own. I am disregarding the year of the Hare (2012) and dedicating this year to me, myself, and I. Could this idea possibly go back to Tigers being a little selfish? . . . Just some food for thought.

The idea isn't as selfish as it sounds, but more of an opportunity to do some things that I have been putting off for "tomorrow". So, in honor of taking the year to celebrate ME I did something I had never done before yet was on my bucket list.

ContrabandToday I went to the movie theater and saw a movie. . . Alone.  At first I was feeling slightly silly, but after the initial purchase of my movie ticket I started to realize some of the benefits.

First of all, I rarely do anything alone so that was an accomplishment in itself.

Secondly, It was nice being able to sit wherever I wanted and not feeling like anybody was judging me for eating the entire container of popcorn by myself.

And the best thing of all. . . I got to watch the movie that I wanted without having to rock, paper, scissors for it.

So, maybe I am selfish or maybe I am just taking some time to do things that I have been putting off. Either way, I welcome you 2012 with arms wide open. Bring it!


I will leave the rest to Marilyn Monroe who says it best:

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”

No comments:

Post a Comment