Sunday, February 27, 2011

You've Got Mail

With all the electronic forms of communication it is rare that I receive a handwritten letter that comes via U.S postal service. Typically when I open my mailbox it is only to find a bill from comcast or a flyer for the pizza joint down the road.

However, today things were different. And no, mail does not come on Sunday here either, but I hadn't checked it for a few days so I was hopeful my luck would change. And it had - or so I thought.

As I opened my mailbox I pulled out nothing less then a handwritten envelope addressed to "The Kunkel Family". I may not consider myself a traditional family unit, but I'm still a family - even if there is just 1 of me.


In the upper right hand corner there was merely a return address neatly inscribed, no hint of the sender. Immediately the thought of a letter with anthrax caught my attention; however, I quickly dismissed the idea and proceeded to rip the envelope open in excitement.

And inside I found the following note:
Dear Kunkel Family,
I have not been able to speak with you personally, but I have some important information that I want to share with you.
Now a days people have access to more information then ever before, but where do you think we can find sound counsel that can help us to lead happy, successful lives? The tract that is enclosed directs us to the Bible for that wise counsel. I hope you enjoy reading this Bible based tract.
Please feel free to contact me at the above address or by phone XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Sincerely,
Pat
Of course there was also an insert from the local Jehovah's Witness to accompany the letter. Initially I was disappointed by the note  from the stranger - and yes, the idea of anthrax again came to mind. However, after the initial disappointment eased, I began to drift my mind to other things. Such as, who on earth has the time to write handwritten notes to all the families in town? And why do I get so excited about letters from the people I know and disappointed that a stranger took the time to write me a special personalized note? Or are they really that concerned about me receiving sound counsel?

Regardless of my excitement and disappointment that comes and goes, it was nice to know that somebody cares enough to take the time to write a letter and drop it in the mailbox. Obviously it got my attention. I am blogging about it aren't I?

 And the take home story is - Drum roll please. . .. 

I challenge you to send 1 letter/card this week to somebody you care about. Maybe somebody you haven't talked to in a while or maybe it's your roommate or spouse. Take the time to hand write the note, drop it in the mailbox, and I promise you will brighten somebodies day.

No comments:

Post a Comment