Thursday, November 11, 2010

the finer things in life

There are few things in life that I do completely successfully. Typically they end in bumps, bruises, opps, and Oh No's! Occasionally tears are involved, but more often then not you will hear laughter. Not always me laughing, but perhaps the laughter of those around me. - Glad I could humor you with my pain. not.

For those of you who know me well (or even for a split moment) I wouldn't be surprised if some ridiculous story has already popped into your head. Do you think that truck sailed or flew here from Alaska? Is it really that untactful to take a "nap" in the bathroom? I enjoy running UP the escalator - do you? Diarrhea has been a problem, anybody care to catch it on film? Was that a glass door I just walked through?

Regardless of the situation, I can more often then not find a way to liven up the room. And No, it is not always done through the use of a good knock-knock joke. That would be far less embarrassing. Over the years I have become increasingly more comfortable in my own skin. Some might even go as far as to say that I have a thick "skull". This has made my embarrassment level decrease drastically as too my anxiety relating to making a fool of myself.

Some people aren't so lucky though. Some people can't put on their turtle shell and hide from it or brush it off their shoulder. For those individuals I just want to say I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I have been called sister bear, victoria, and mother eagle to name a few. I had the bangs, bras, and babysitting skills to prove it.

The more I have been working in the school system the more I see the direct effects of bullying. And to be quite frank - it annoys the snot out of me. I know I have said a mean thing a time or two or three or four. I just wish kids saw the direct effects that their words and actions have on others.

Oh what to do? What to do?

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand the link between the title and the apparent theme of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jeff...Sounds like someone started writing this with one thing in mind, but her true thoughts got in the word. I'm sorry sister bear, mother eagle and victoria...It makes me feel very bad to have been the culprit behind the only three things you point out as examples of bullying in your life. I'm sorry for all the bad things i've done to you :( Just remember all the good things i've taught you...Like go for the legs

    ReplyDelete