Thursday, April 14, 2011

YES woMAN

Friends are there to help you correct your mistakes and fix your flaws - right? Right! Glad we agree on something, now we can move onto the more pertinent information.

A few years ago one of my best friends (you know who you are) and I decided to to help each other work on our slight imperfections. Or depending on how you look at it... big imperfections.

My friend was horrible at giving hugs. This may not seem to be problematic to the untrained eye, but for me, a "hugger", this was simply unacceptable.

And I was incapable of saying N.O - No. Can you do me a favor? Yes. Can we hang out tonight? Absolutely. Can you work an extra shift? Sure. Can you drive me to the store? Why not. This was Emily in a nutshell. It sounds all warm and fuzzy at first, but trust me.... it's exhausting.

The solution? I promised to give my bud a hug a day if he promised to ask me a series of questions which I could practice saying NO to. This worked surprisingly well for awhile and eventually he was almost as good of a hugger as I. And I was saying no left and right. It was glorious.

Now, 4 years later I'm not sure what kind of hugs he is giving. Unfortunately we don't see each other nearly enough. I do know, however, that my no skill is declining rapidl and I am in dire need of some practice. I have officially turned into a "yes man".

I have not seen the following movie, but I feel like I should watch it - and soon. Maybe it will help me appreciate my slight imperfection of having to say yes all the time. Or even better, help me develop and skill to say no every once in a blue moon.




Just for the record, this does not mean that I don't want to hang out with you, or that I don't wish to do you a favor, or drive you around town aimlessly just "cruising". It does, however, mean that I often overwhelm myself and end up push my own priorities needs aside due to my inability to say no, which eventually results in me getting audited for not filing my taxes on time. Uh Oh!

In closing, the only solution is for me to move to Indy and get my friend back so we can practice saying No and giving Hugs everyday! Watch out - I'm moving in!

1 comment: